Sunday, October 25, 2009

Danger Dave - Part One

This experience occurred on Friday, October 16th; I didn’t post it until the images to go along with it were developed.

I guess by now regular readers of my blog know that I seek out unusual conditions and places that have the potential for capturing unique and exciting photography. Sometimes, by their very nature, these conditions or places lead to increased chances of bodily harm; that is, sometimes the risk factor goes up with the corresponding increased potential for interesting photography; I would soon find out that that would be the case today.

The forecast called for a wet snowfall overnight and I woke up well before dawn excited about the prospects. With many of the autumn leaves still hanging like ornaments in the trees, this could offer some unique scenery – despite our reputation for snow here in Western New York, it is not common in mid-October when the leaves are at their most colorful.

I look outside; sure enough, a layer of snow has blanketed the trees and ground. With the temperature hovering around freezing and the forecast calling for a gradual warm-up, I know these conditions won’t last long so I decide to hedge my bets; I head south to higher elevations, to Allegany State Park where the temperature should be a few degrees colder and these promising conditions may last a bit longer.

Fortunately, the roads are still warm and the snow is not sticking to them so I make good time. I head up the winding, twisting north entrance road into the park just as dawn’s early light begins to reveal the towering forest on both sides of me. This road tops out at about 1,000 feet higher in elevation than back home and the closer I get to the top the deeper the snow gets; slipping and sliding now in the icy slush, I switch into four-wheel drive.

Unfortunately, this same heavy wet snow that increases the potential for interesting photography also increases the likelihood of downed tree limbs and branches. Limbs and even entire trees are sagging precariously under the weight of the cement snow and several times, I have to thread the needle between bent or fallen trees to keep making progress. Alas, rounding a bend I witness a tree slowly shuddering to the ground right in front of me. Naively, I think I can get out and move it – not a chance; it’s a bigger tree than I thought and it’s completely blocking the road. Nothing to do but turn around and go back down the way I came, hoping that another tree hasn’t fallen in the meantime caging me in.

Next: Danger Dave Somehow Manages to Find Yet More Danger (Danger Dave Part 2)

No comments: