Sunday, November 29, 2009

No Pics With This Post

And it’s my own damn fault. I have told myself a million times (OK, maybe just dozens of times) never, ever, go on a hike without a picture-capturing device of some type because one never knows what might present itself. Well, today, because I didn’t listen to that voice, I missed a glorious opportunity.

It’s Thanksgiving Day afternoon and, with family far away and friends celebrating with their own families, I am alone. I decide to go for a hike before it gets dark (way too early this time of year.) It’s a gloomy, overcast, drizzly day but, as soon as I enter the woods, I feel better. I have decided to leave my camera gear behind because, after all, what could I possibly see that’s photo-worthy under these conditions?

I slog through the soggy forest, wet down by a persistent, consistent, but significant pitter-patter of raindrops on fallen leaves, soaked to the bone and splashing through puddles that fill my boots and make them all squishy inside. And it’s chilly, but I do love the forest so, so I don’t mind at all. The trail I’m following was once a road probably used for logging. I can see it stretch off far in the distance ahead of me.

Suddenly I notice a glowing uptrail as if the woods were on fire. The sun has split the clouds and the wet forest is shining, bathed in a golden radiance. I reach the edge of the forest, pop out of the woods and see… a magnificent double rainbow; possibly the most vivid I have ever seen, arching over the meadow, in a full half circle, pots of gold at both ends. Set against dark clouds, it stands out as I have never seen before, just like a rainbow in a children’s book, all glorious, surreal, ideal – but, in this case, the real deal, arching hugely across the sky.

At first, I curse myself for not bringing my gear but then I lapse into a form of paralysis, I can’t move for having to avert my gaze to take a step. It hangs up there for what I would only guess was at least ten minutes while I just stood there, amazed, jaw on the ground, only half believing what I was seeing.

Lesson learned… maybe. At least the image is forever etched into my brain, never to be forgotten, even if I can’t (unfortunately) share it with you.

2 comments:

Kristie Maynard said...

We had an experience like that in England once. We were in a town and saw the rainbow, but couldn't get to an area where Dave could shoot it. When we got back to our B&B Julia, the owner, told us that she was hoping we were somewhere to get some shots as it was the most vivid rainbow she had seen in all the years she had lived there. Of course she was at the top of a hill and had a beautiful view of it.

nancydance said...

Oh, but you DID share it with us! Thank you ... and I'm glad you had a such a Thanksgiving experience!